- Memory tests of people who have taken Ecstasy as compared to non-drug users have shown that the Ecstasy users had lower scores.
- The Federal penalty for manufacturing or selling ecstasy can lead to fines up to four million dollars. A ringleader or head manufacturer of ecstasy could receive life in prison.
- Researchers at The Johns Hopkins University demonstrated that 4 days of exposure to the drug caused damage that persisted 6 to 7 years later.
- Some pills sold as ecstasy actually contain little or no MDMA. Pills may contain other drugs such as PMA or another MDMA analogue, DXM, household chemicals such as Ajax or rat poison, or other (sometimes lethal) byproducts.
Treatment for ecstasy addiction has a multi-part solution. First the individual goes through a detoxification process, eliminating the ecstasy residue from their system. Secondly, they need to follow their ecstasy detoxification with treatment such as therapy. This two part process ensures that the individual has a smaller chance at relapse than with other methods.
Residential as well as outpatient treatment programs have proven to be effective in handling ecstasy addiction. The most important aspect in ecstasy treatment is correlating the appropriate treatment option with the individual. One treatment method that is gaining ground as a positive approach to ecstasy addiction is cognitive-behavioral therapy. This approach provides rewards for remaining clean during the initial stages of treatment. Individuals are rewarded for drug-free urine tests with movie passes and memberships to a gym. This treatment option helps the individual who is trying to overcome ecstasy addiction assimilate back into society with healthy activities that promote a drug free lifestyle.
Long term residential treatment programs are an additional treatment method that is known to be highly effective. With a duration of 6 to 12 months, long term residential treatment programs are the most well rounded treatment method to date. They help in focusing the individual on maintaining a drug free lifestyle for an extended period of time. Residential treatment programs also help in the resocialization process. This includes socialization skills, vocational skills, as well as interpersonal skills.
Twelve Step Ecstasy Treatment
The twelve step treatment program is designed to help individuals overcome their addiction to drugs or alcohol. It is a treatment method which involves going through 12 individual steps and attending meetings on a regular basis to maintain sobriety.
- We admit we are powerless over our dependencies and that our lives have become unmanageable.
- We come to believe that God can restore us to sanity.
- We make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God.
- We make a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- We admit to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- We are entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- We humbly ask God to remove our shortcomings.
- We make a list of all persons we have harmed and become willing to make amends to them all.
- We make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- We continue to take personal inventory and when we are wrong promptly admit it.
- We seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as revealed through the person of Jesus Christ, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, which is the revelation of Jesus Christ, we try to carry this message to others and to practice these Biblical principles in all our affairs.
Outpatient Ecstasy Treatment
Outpatient drug treatment is provided at community mental health centers or other community outpatient settings. Outpatient treatment requires no hospitalization and the commitment made is strictly to the outpatient treatment program. Outpatient treatment programs allow individuals to remain active in their daily lives while receiving professional treatment for their ecstasy addiction.
Outpatient treatment programs may include:
- Thorough Assessment Process
- Drug and Alcohol Education
- Life Skills Development
- Introduction to 12-Step Process
- Medical/Therapeutic Consultations
- Group Therapy
- Relapse Prevention Training
- Integration into 12-Step Programs
- Random Urinalysis
- Individual Counseling
- Multi-Family Group & Education
- Stress Reduction Training
- Early Sobriety Skills Training
Residential Ecstasy Treatment
Residential drug treatment programs offer many services that other treatment methods are not able to. Services such as drug withdrawal, detoxification, and medications can be offered at residential drug treatment facilities. Residential drug treatment programs typically run anywhere from 3 to 12 months are are able to reinforce a drug free lifestyle.
Residential drug treatment programs may include:
- life skills
- social skills
- work ethic
- psychiatric services
- communication skills
- spot and handle bad influences
- recognize characteristics of an anti-social personality
- personal ethics
- honesty and integrity